- We skip EP55 and straight to 56 - RIP Steve, 56 is too early to leave this world.
Java / Misc
- Official Java 7 Developer Preview for Mac OSX
- Java 8 delayed
- Possibly induced by the open sourcing of JavaFX 2.0 - which was also released. Only for Windows tho :) Dev Preview for OSX available ( it depends on the Java 7 for OSX release in order to go “final” I believe ). Will be included with Java 8.
- Oracle also announced Project Avatar - Java backend with HTML5/DOM manipulated frontends - demonstrating apps running on iOS, Android, and Windows tablets
- Oracle Cloud / Platform as a Service
- Oracle NoSQL Database
- based on berkely db java edition, clustering/auto-balancing/distributed - actually sounds kinda nice
- Oracle “Big Data” box - Hadoop, R, Oracle NoSQL
- Google also release Cloud SQL for the GAE
- Twitter joins OpenJDK / JCP
- Java One joins Parlays.com and already have some 2011 videos up
- IntelliJ Community Edition now mirrored on Github - get your hardcore forking action on!
- Bitbucket/Atlassian now support git - unlimited private repositories
- Atlassian also purchased Source Tree - an OSX git/mercurial client - and have made it free for a limited time.
- Olsen Timezone Database closed/removed
- SureAssert puts your tests in annotations. Does that mean one test per method? Is this even a good idea?
- Eu - for simple asserts maybe - not that I like having the tests in/on production source files - but no chance for mocking here?
- SodBeans - who make an accessibility add-on for “NetBeans” won Dukes Choice Award this year. Weird name for a project.
- Typesafe launch the Typesafe Stack 1.1. Yawn.
- Java is still number 1 on the world’s stupidest language comparison website - Tiobe
Mobile / Android
- Google/Samsung delay Nexus Prime launch in respect of Steve’s passing
- HP Touchpads delivered to some customers running Android rather than WebOS
- Nokia lay off another 3500 staff, announce a low-cost/low-end linux based OS called Maltemi
- Amazon lets you encrypt your data in S3 on upload.