From the Software Gardeners.
Java / Tools / Misc
- Spark is a new Micro web framework inspired by Sinatra ( ruby )
- like Ratpack for Groovy
- Springsource has put up a roadmap talk for 3.2 and beyond
- Oracle proposes changes to JCP
- all discussions must take place in public (no closed discussions)
- make JSRs update more often
- Kill ones that drag (e.g. 294 - OSGI)
- J2ME and j2SE merged into one group
- Further changes promised to address some of Apache’s concerns
- Cameron Purdy from Oracle indicates current JSRs won’t change to new rules
- JRockit is now free
- Groovy + 0.4.243 released - getting closer to the 0.5 release
- JUnitParams is a new way of doing parameterized JUnit tests - looks very much like TestNG data providers.
- JMongoBrowser is a GUI app for managing a MonoDB cluster
- Concordion Extensions 1.0.2 released by Nigel Charman
- GAE moves out of Preview and into a more pay as you go model
- Free Apps: Similar to the Free Apps of today but with more restrictive quotas
- Paid Apps: Similar to Apps which have Billing Enabled today, except they will have a 99.95% SLA and cost $9/app/month in addition to usage fees. Customers will need to opt-in to this.
- Premier Accounts: A new offering which will allow a company to not pay for individual Apps but rather use as many as they need. Premier Accounts will be eligible to receive Operational Support for $500/month in addition to usage fees.
- ThoughtWorks tries to gain traction for Go (ex-Cruise). Not to be confused with Go or Go!
- James Gosling wishes he was able to push out an update to 1.4.2 to cause it to just die.
- Tomcat 7 adds “Crawler Valve” to limit resource sucking
- WebStorm 2.1 released - based on IDEA 10.5
- Wired article on the awesome openness of Android / Cyanogen
- Google movies blocked from rooted Android devices
- I wasn’t aware of this patent battle - Microsoft vs i4i which involves RedHat and Google and Apple and Intel on M$’s side, and US govt and pharms on other.
- Remember Me - Macho Man Randy Savage